Re: [OM] OM-D system gear, was: C-U Lens follies

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D system gear, was: C-U Lens follies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 13:45:55 -0700
On 5/11/2016 6:24 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I thought quite a bit about your bellows and focusing rail comments, especially about having spare bellows parts. But as to focusing rails I'll probably stick with my little used ebay 2-axis setup. It doesn't operate quite as smoothly as the Oly focusing rail but it's quite close and not bad. Both have helical racks and drag adjustments. I found that I couldn't tightly lock the ebay rig and thought that might be a difference but then found I couldn't tightly lock the Oly rig either.

I have one of those, too. Not bad, but more slop between axes than I would like. Twist one against the other - big movement, at least on mine. When I did use it, long ago, I seem to recall that the directional slop tended to defeat the purpose of the sideways adjustment. Touch the camera to adjust it and the left-right framing changed. I remember being disappointed/annoyed.

Unless I need the sideways movement, which is really, really unusual, I'll
stick to the Oly.

But I'm still thinking about the spare parts angle. You can typically buy the complete bellows for less than the focusing rail but you do also need a focusing stage for use as a rail alone. Something I do have but not included with a bellows.

Sure, but doesn't everyone have one of those? :-)

Worm Drive Moose