Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 16:20:45 -0500
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/11/2016 1:21 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>
>>    . . . when it came to losing the rear end
>> on a corner. The way the rear end would kick out would force a
>> replacement of underwear. I can hang the tail out of most cars (911s
>> are a bit tripsy, though),
>>

> Ya think??? Seriously so on early-ish ones, like my '71. :-)  I think I
> may have survived because I had many hairy miles in a 56 VW under my belt.
> Once one has pulled it out from sideways on a freeway in one of those . . .
> Get into a corner too fast? DO NOT touch the brakes. Nice, gentle
> application of throttle will generally pull that tail back in. Only once
> was I sure that wasn't going to work - but it did.
>
> Lucky Duck Moose

I was on my way into Chicago on I-90 one fine Sunday afternoon whilst
driving the 2.5RS.  We were all going along at a nice 70mph clip, when all
of a sudden the flatbed truck two vehicles ahead of me lost a sizeable
piece of scrap metal. It flew over the car directly in front of me, and
landed in my lane. I went into immediate avoidance manoeuvres,  but as you
can imagine, attempting a 70mph slalom is a sketchy proposition.  Daphne
started to slide to the left, so I corrected (what I thought was just
enough, but at 70, it gets multiplied) and she suddenly started to slide
across to the right and then the rear end came around as I was headed
towards the right-hand retaining wall. Whatever driving instincts I have
organically kicked in, and I could feel all four Kumhos scrabbling for
traction. The rest is kinda blurry, but between the chassis balance, low
center of gravity, AWD, and me dancing on the clutch and brake, she not
only kept me out of the concrete but landed me back in the original lane,
pointing the right direction.

Fortunately, the traffic following me saw what was going down, so they all
backed off to give me room (and to avoid the hunk of metal).  Once I
started breathing again, I patted her on the dashboard, said, "You were
worth every cent!", put her in gear, and continued on my way. I really
wanted to send "thank-you" cards to every engineer involved in designing
that car.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie