Re: [OM] Back Button Focus was IMG: A Lesson That Should Have Been Obvio

Subject: Re: [OM] Back Button Focus was IMG: A Lesson That Should Have Been Obvious
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 08:50:15 -0400
Consider that you're on the side lines shooting a soccer game. You're 25 meters away from most of the action. Carefully focus the camera at center field. If you're shooting an X-Pro1 at 90mm f/11 DoF will cover you from 15-100 meters. Now the action starts. You're trying to follow the action, the camera is bouncing up and down, you press the shutter button in a hurry and the camera picks on a player near the closest sideline or chooses a point off on the far side of the field. Shot totally lost when there was no reason whatsoever to refocus.

If your focal length is longer or aperture larger you won't have so much DoF leeway. You can still use the same technique but will have to refocus from time to time.

Chuck Norcutt