Re: [OM] WAS - Re: E-M1 vs E-M5II - Now Ian

Subject: Re: [OM] WAS - Re: E-M1 vs E-M5II - Now Ian
From: Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 15:00:56 +0200
Le 13 mai 2016 à 14:21, SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Dear Philippe,
>
> I know texting is illegal but that doesn't stop it happening, I love driving
> (but not paying) on the French motorways and for sure cruise control works
> well there, however I refer to the changes over the last couple of years and
> the prolifereation of cameras on more rural roads  where one section its 110
> kmh then for a short section its 70Kmh then 90kmh then 50kmh then back to
> 110kmh all before you have time to set the cruise control, and the penalties
> come into force for only a few kmh over very easily achieved when watching
> the road and not continually the speedometer

I understand that, and it may also depend on the system on board your car - We
have 2 C5s one is new, and its system is much less easy to operate than the
older one, go figure where progress lies…

As to the way they now set the limits you describe, I'm daily comforted in the
idea they know better than me what speed is deemed to be acceptable for ALL
vehicles - from old VW Beetles to the latest RS7 quattro …
I'm thinking of rain, wind, snow, flooding, schools, side streets, etc.
Just by way of an example, one of my uncles was the deputy mayor of his city
and when they had some roads redone, he was invited by the certifying authority
to take a very dangerous curve on board the testing team car (DS at the time).
Although he had had Maurice Trintignant as a driving instructor, he said he was
scared. And they finally set the limit 20km/h lower than that which they had
actually performed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Trintignant

> . P.S. One of my colleagues lives in Strasbourg and he confirmed the change
> in tactic
>
> yes my satnav says dangerous segment in France no speed detection there
> Switzerland did have a recent initiative to raise the motorway speed limit to
> reflect modern cars abilities but sadly didn't get voted in so you had better
> stick to the limits - the swiss never pretended it was about safety and often
> in december when funds are low there will be a marked increase in mobile
> speed camera sightings
>
> http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/driver-faces--1-000-000-speeding-fine/23091098
>
> What I do think is sensible here it that you can have almost unlimited minor
> infringements which are not recorded on your license.

So can we, for parking, or insurance, or MOT ;-)

Amities
Philippe