Re: [OM] Image resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] Image resolution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 13:42:45 -0700
On 5/17/2016 4:25 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am somewhat dissatisfied with the resolution of my images.

Please see a sample of 3 - view large; at

. . . I really expected a lot better.

What do you think?

I think we've done this dance before. Do you know the story of the man and his
dog?

"I told him to sit, and he wouldn't"
"So I kicked him, and he still wouldn't sit"
"So I denied him food; even after a couple of weeks, he still wouldn't sit"
"So I beat him, and he still wouldn't sit"
"So I beat him harder, with a bigger stick, and now all he'll do is lie down and
play dead."

A little harsh? I don't know. I've written this stuff before, and you persist in mistreating your light, and then somehow expecting the results to be different the next time. These images are like so many you have posted before, suffering from just the same ills.

1. You refuse, or perhaps are constitutionally unable (?), to use exposure compensation with scenes like these, with high DR and significant areas of very bright yellow/orange/red. If you won't bracket exposures, SET EV TO -1.0 for such scenes.

2. You casually mention a filter. Is this one you have tested? Gary's tests showed that even a high end brand may produce a filter that significantly reduces sharpness.* For those of us without a vertical auto collimeter, A/B tests are the only way to tell. If concerned about sharpness DO NOT USE A FILTER, unless/until you have done A/B tests with it and confirmed that it doesn't degrade IQ.

3. You insist/persist in using either JPEGs or a second rate Raw converter. I don't know about the E-3, but I've taken almost 14,000 shots with an E-M5 (~2,500 with 12-50) and processed at least hundreds from Raw. There is a great deal of recoverable highlight detail in these Raw files. But you can't get at it with FS or Oly Viewer.

4. You insist/persist in using second rate sharpening. The USM sharpening in FS increases contrast at edges, often creating artifacts, but does nothing to actually recover detail lost to AA filters and Bayer array color interpolation. Deconvolution, although on the surface perhaps appearing to act like USM, is actually quite different and CAN recover visible detail.

I'm sorry you lost you house, and dog, to a fire. I'm sorry about your troubles with your main outboard engine. But neither of those need affect these technical aspects of your photography.

"Why is he beating this dead horse of highlights, again?", you may well ask. "Because if affects detail resolution, the subject of your post!", I holler back. I've explained how/why many times, both in response to your posted images and those of others, and it seems to done little good (except for Jim). For now, IT JUST DOES.

Looking at sharpness alone, a detail from image #2.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Leaves.htm>

You can see that there's a lot more fine detail available than you've found/shown. If you did any USM sharpening in FS, that is probably slightly degrading the results I get with deconvolution using Focus Magic.