Re: [OM] Image resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] Image resolution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 14:06:45 -0700
On 5/17/2016 5:18 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I hasten to add that the images are unaltered jpegs straight from
the camera.

When you click on LARGE, that's what you should see.

On
checking (afterthought) I found that the setting on the M5 was for LN,
not LF. My bad.

So you, unintentionally, sent a couple of us on a wild goose chase.

Nevertheless, if your interest is the very best resolution of which your camera is capable, shooting JPEGs is intentionally throwing some of it away. JPEG is, by design, a lossy format, throwing away detail in favor of smaller file size.

I'm not necessarily saying you should only shoot Raw. I am saying that before you conclude that there's something wrong with the resolution you are getting, you should try some shots where you do nothing to make it worse. That is, shoot Raw, no filters, tripod, absolutely still subject, etc.