Re: [OM] Image resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] Image resolution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 12:55:01 -0700
On 5/20/2016 7:22 AM, DZDub wrote:
On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Polarizer filters are an interesting twist. I use them but not nearly
as much as I used to. In fact, I rarely use them these days. Is it
because I can do what I need/want to do in Photoshop instead? Well,
sorta. But this is one of those form/function things. I've been
shooting a lot of panos and wide-angle stuff the past couple of years
and polarizers are just to problematic for ultrawide photography.
I used to used a PL as much to saturate colors

LCE

as deepen blue sky.

Separate sky layer. Pols do such weird things to sky, worsening as the FL gets shorter, that I much prefer to adjust sky color in post.

I find
with digital a PL is so effective that there is not enough specular
highlight detail to allow the result to look natural to my eyes.  I think
maybe Moose should try it.  It might be his "dream look" in certain
situations but it ain't my cup of tea.

I hadn't thought about that. Probably a non-starter because I simply don't carry extra stuff like that - and when I do I forget it's there until I'm later going through the bag at home, see the thingie and think "Oh yeah, I was going to try that, but I forgot."

In general, if I use a PL with digital, I don't go for maximum
polarization, just part way.

I still have a "Moose" polarizer (nothing to do with our noble Moose) --
basically a PL with warming filter in it.

Back to the UV/altitude thing. That other Moose is a nature photographer who works extensively in high mountains, so he combined a Pol with an 81A.

I loved that with Fuji slide
films.  I don't have the right sizes for my E-system lenses, so I've never
tried it with them.  I could experiment with my Zuikos on the Canon body.
As if I don't have enough fooling around to do with that already, haha!

I've got so many thing I think I should try/test, and even  few I really want
to try . . .

Random Effects Moose