Re: [OM] IMG: Honeysuckle: A Beautiful Nuisance

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Honeysuckle: A Beautiful Nuisance
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 18:58:35 -0400
It climbs up into my pear tree and apple trees. It smothers my magnolia.
It has overtaken several rose bushes and fig bushes.  We can't keep it cut
back.  The more we cut it, the more it grows.  It will eventually pull down
a fence.  Ask me how I know.

Tina

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> My 3-ft chain link fence is covered with a combination of Wintergreen and
> Honeysuckle, neither of which were planted by me. I am guilty of planting
> some Wintergreen Manhattans around the front of the house and along my
> carport, but the birds took care of adding the plantings along the fence,
> their favorite perch.  I spent quite a bit last year trimming all of this,
> but we're now at the middle of May and I have already asked the landscaper
> to schedule another cut.
>
> Yes, the green looks better than the wire, but not when it gets as high as
> my head and grows at a rapid rate.  Then, it becomes a nuisance. :-(
>
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA
>
> On 5/20/2016 4:57 PM, Moose wrote:
>
>> On 5/19/2016 10:11 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
>>
>>> While experimenting with some lens combinations, I came across a nice
>>> example of one of the nuisances that is taking over my fence.
>>>
>>> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Beautiful+Nuisance.tif.html
>>>

>> How a nuisance? Few things better for transforming a chain link fence
>> into a thing of beauty. There is some sort of beautiful flowering vine on
>> such a fence near us. One part of the fence was replaced, turning a corner
>> we pass often ugly, but the plant is spreading back from the other side.
>> That's about all I know of that I might prefer to honeysuckle. Perhaps it's
>> invasive in your climate? Not here.
>>
>> And I'm with Bob about sucking the nectar out. One of the few clear
>> memories I have of my first grammar school was the wonderful honeysuckle.
>>
>> Sucker for a Pretty Face Moose
>>

> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com