Re: [OM] Focus Stacking in the wilds.

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Stacking in the wilds.
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 07:12:20 -0500
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 12:06 AM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wednesday, we had occasion to be in Vallejo at 6pm. Driving up at that
> time on a weekday, involves awful commute traffic - and - they are doing
> roadwork. Looking around on the map, I found a park I'd never been to, the
> Benicia State Recreation Area. so we left early encountered less traffic
> slowdown than anticipated, and spent a couple of very pleasant hours there.
> We went wandering in the Forrest Deaner Native Plant Botanic Garden. It
> isn't much larger than its name, the peak flower season is past there and
> we have a much larger native plant BG very close to home. But with the
> different climate, they had nicer specimens of some flora and some
> beautiful flowers.
>
> I took the opportunity to try a bunch of hand held focus stacks using the
> Nikon 5T C-U lens on PLeica 100-400 lens, and that's mostly what's in this
> little gallery. <
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/Forrest%20Deaner%20Native%20Plant%20Botanic%20Garden
> >

> Also a Northern Mockingbird displaying and a maple seed that looks like a
> flying creature with eyes.
>
> It was an interesting exercise. There was a breeze blowing, not steady, so
> getting some subjects in the frame and in focus at the same time wasn't
> always easy. But that's what I was trying out, how practical casual focus
> stacking is in the field. the E-M5 II does have built-in focus bracketing,
> as they call it, but I didn't think it would work with the often, and
> unexpectedly, dancing subjects.
>
> The two not so close images are only two shots each, but it makes a big
> difference in the DoF. A couple of two shot only C-Us also came out rather
> well. With such a long FL and close focus, the background is nicely soft,
> with rather attractive bokeh, even at f11, so I only needed a couple of
> shots for <
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/Forrest%20Deaner%20Native%20Plant%20Botanic%20Garden&image=_A004945-46oofm.jpg>
>

> and this <
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/Forrest%20Deaner%20Native%20Plant%20Botanic%20Garden&image=_A004943-44croof70.jpg
> >

> The vagaries of wind had hand holding at high magnifications led to some
> oddities. I didn't get the shots focally spaced well for this one, so there
> is something like a Plane of Unfocus part way back. <
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/Forrest%20Deaner%20Native%20Plant%20Botanic%20Garden&image=_A004934-37croofm.jpg

Those look great to me.  It's hard to judge how much better than they would
have been without FS unless there is a "control" photo well stopped down.
But me likey these, and I can't imagine doing the shots hand-held.  Maybe
it isn't so tricky if the main subject moves a bit, but if the near-focus
leaves or grass move in the background, it will spoil the effort with
ghosting.

Interesting, beautiful species, too.  I'd be very pleased with an outing
like that.

Joel W.