[OM] OT: Warning for hikers/campers in western Pinal County, Arizona

Subject: [OM] OT: Warning for hikers/campers in western Pinal County, Arizona
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 15:16:56 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     As though we didn't have enough to be concerned about.

     I'm hoping that people don't dismiss this as being an over-reaction on the
part of Babeu.  This situation has been developing for decades, with cartel
scouts camping out on various peaks to monitor law enforcement and rip gang
activity along smuggling routes.  I myself have seen a number of such routes,
particularly in the South Maricopa Mountains.

     With the growing legalisation of marijuana for both medicinal and
recreational usage, the market value has dropped and the growers and cartels
are moving into the much more profitable market of heroin.  You have probably
heard by now that heroin addiction has been growing at an alarming rate.  As a
result, burglaries have increased here locally, and a nearby middle-class
neighbourhhod is in the process of organising block watches, whereas it was
previously referred to by the Tempe PD as "Mayberry".

     It is not at all appealing to carry a sidearm while hiking.  I have
carried one on occasions while doing Forest Service work if I knew there was
pot farm activity in the area I was going.  That probably won't diminish much
even with legalisation.

> Hikers, campers warned about assassins in parts of Pinal County
>
> The Pinal County Sheriff's Office is warning hikers and campers of a
> dangerous threat this holiday weekend -- cartel assassins.
>
> Sheriff Paul Babeu is recommending anyone using back roads, campsites
> and trails in western Pinal County to be extra cautious and consider
>carrying a firearm if they are in any wilderness areas...
>
> read more:
> http://www.abc15.com/news/region-central-southern-az/florence/hikers-campers-warned-about-assassins-in-parts-of-pinal-county
>
> http://www.abc15.com/news/region-central-southern-az/florence/hikers-campers-warned-about-assassins-in-parts-of-pinal-county

Chris