Re: [OM] Hens Teeth - KORGs

Subject: Re: [OM] Hens Teeth - KORGs
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 09:28:42 -0500
On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm reminded of the days when Japanese manufacturers tend to ship what
> they shipped last year because that's what they sold last year, so
> that's what the market demand is. Never mind the fact that the item
> has an 18 month stack of backorders.
>
> Today's adventure centers around the KORG RK-100S, which is a Keytar.
> (cross between a keyboard and a guitar. Kinda like the modern

Keytars are cool. Lets a keyboardist get out front of the band and prance
around for a while. Before the official "Keytar," guys like Gary Wright and
Edgar Winter figured out how to make carryable versions of synths, but they
were pretty heavy. One of the first ones I remember seeing was Jan Hammer's.

Maybe there is a reason why hardly anybody has one? Could it be that
> there is not enough of them to satisfy demand? Case in point, of the
> next shipment into the USA, Guitar Center is getting only 20 of them.
> And that doesn't even include the red ones! So, the largest musical
> instrument dealer in the country (goes by two names, they both share
> the same inventory) is getting less than two dozen and those have long
> been spoken for. It is believed that the entire shipment coming in
> this month is sold out. The next shipment isn't even scheduled yet.
>

> Maybe it's a bad guess on demand. Or, as happens fairly frequenty, they
intentionally under-produce to create an artificial shortage, creating
higher demand and a marketing buzz.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie