Re: [OM] IMG: From Another Old Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From Another Old Lens
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 18:15:46 -0500
Thanks, Mike. I actually have two of these lenses, in LTM and Exacta mounts, because I was shooting Exacta when I came across the first one. My feeling is that the mounting and mechanism is below Leica standards, but it can do a decent job, with patience. If I buy a 90mm, though, it will probably be AF. I'm sure the Steinheil glass would not measure up to OM standards, as well, but my Oly experience is limited to the digital age.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Interesting lens--I saw the MTF--very good but not super.  I don't know how it
compared with other lenses from early 50's.
Appears to be a "reverse Tessar" design with the cemented doublet in front.
(should be 4 elements in 3 groups-- rear doublet ). Nice and compact and has 16 aperture
blades.
Suspect if made today with new glass and degrees of freedom available, could be
very very  sharp indeed. Still a  very nice rendering and should have excellent
bokeh under many conditions.
The lens or you didn't seem to mind the heat given the nice image of the
visitors to your great feeder.  The Buddleia still looks a tad oversaturated
with some loss of detail  on this mediocre monitor at work.  Don't have my
tools here to see if a channel is clipped
or perhaps it is the  monitor.  Thanks for getting the interesting  old girl
out for some exercise and posting the results. Deserving of more use, I think.

Some like it hot, Mike