Re: [OM] Olympus TG-4 owners - request for someone to test focus stackin

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus TG-4 owners - request for someone to test focus stacking on eyes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 15:18:10 -0700
On 6/16/2016 10:18 AM, SwissPace wrote:
Hi All,

The subject of taking photos of the eye in particular details of the cornea has come up again, what i am looking for is a quick and easy way for kerstin to take photos to geve her enough detail, I tried with macro lenses on the OM-D etc.. but its rather fussy and then i wondered if focus stacking using a TG-4 and lightguide might be the answer. Before I leap to buy though I was wondering if anyone would be willing to try it out for me. recording the detail of the cornea (apparently it contains a lot of health information to the trained eye) is the goal so the picture taking needs to be as quick and effortless as possible.

I'll take a shot at this.

It may be trickier than it sounds. I watched a counterperson trying to demonstrate it. The camera focused on the reflections on the surface, rather than the iris. So a bland/blank background may be easier.

Absent any other subject, as Carol is out and about, I made this a little selfie project. Using the W-fi remote control app on my phone and holding camera up in front of one eye and phone in front of the other, I tried it.

Light is a problem at such close quarters. The add-on ring light pipe illuminates evenly, but gives a lovely reflection of itself in the eye. The LED illuminator alone still gives reasonably even light and the reflection is much smaller.

Here's about the best I came up with, full frame and crop.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20267>

Thoughts and speculations:

I could have set up a tripod, other lights, etc. but as proof of concept, I
think this was sufficient.

Shooting someone else's eye would be easier, with better results, only the LED
reflected, with a little care.

DoF may a problem, if one needs sharp focus all over. I may not have been exactly square to the eye. Though I tried, juggling the two gadgets to frame and look into the camera while also seeing the phone screen was a bit tricky. The Focus Stacking option would deal with that, if necessary.

The accessory tele adapter would allow greater magnification while still maintaining enough distance to illuminate it. I tried a shot with it, but there were too many reflections where I was standing and focus or the low shutter speed made it softish. I think the aux lens blocked the LED, so I stood where there was more natural light. I know from other work that it can be quite sharp.

Whadda Think?

Self Eye Moose