Re: [OM] Missing shots with OM D E-M5

Subject: Re: [OM] Missing shots with OM D E-M5
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 17:37:02 -0400
I agree about the SD controller being intelligent. But if the controller is bad it is not going to diagnose it's own problems. Let Windows (an external agent) do the checking.

I did not suggest two different runs of the Windows formatter (at least on the same card). Just one run on each card to verify everything works. I agree that the load leveler can place stuff wherever it wants to but, when formatting, Windows (I believe) should immediately read back the sector it just wrote. The leveler must return the same sector wherever it located it physically or else it would be returning the wrong data. Even if Windows waited to read back the entire disk in one go it would still get the data from the same logical location it placed it in even it the leveler chooses a different location on the next write. But, in my test, there is no next write and the leveler causes no confusion.

Note that I also suggested using a different card but only after testing the first card.

I am unaware of SDFormatter and perhaps it has some magic of its own. But I see nothing wrong with the simple test I described using what's on the computer already.

I also disagree about what's the most important test. I think the most important test was to see if the problem was (quickly) reproducible on the same card. Brian's observation of the sequence he performed is probably correct but memory is a fragile thing

Chuck Norcutt