[OM] TG-4, mostly macro* focus stacks [was PENNS CREEK MAYFLIES]

Subject: [OM] TG-4, mostly macro* focus stacks [was PENNS CREEK MAYFLIES]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 02:16:00 -0700
On 6/13/2016 1:05 PM, Don Holbrook wrote:
. . .  Handheld, light breeze, nervous flies.........getting better I think.

Your comment about nervous mayflies made me think of something. I always check the Oly refurb sales, and not long ago bought the 1.7x Tele-adapter for the TG-4. My thought in buying it was that I'd be frustrated by the 25-100 mm eq. zoom range on beach, river, etc. and I would enjoy a small light 170mm add on.

Now I realized that it should also work for macro with greater working distance. And it does! <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20289>

First are red-orange daylilies, shot without the aux. lens. then a yellow one
with the 1.7x adapter.

All the rest are then close-ups in Microscope Mode with the 1.7x. In camera Focus Stacks and single shots mixed, with 100% samples of a couple.

The extra working distance definitely made shooting insects easier, I could get
shots where going closer scared them off.

The last was actually the most useful for me. Although I've covered pretty well, with selective deconvolution 'sharpening', the undulating surface made clear to me that the slices were too far apart, giving a sort of wave effect of in and slightly out of focus with depth. The body of the cute little insect I've never noticed before seems to be in a trough, and isn't quite in focus.

I did a little research and found a page that explained that the slice spacing parameter, Wide<==>Narrow, is not an absolute, but changes with aperture, and the only way to get full depth focus is to set it at one. I'll do that next round.

The TG-4 is a really fun, capable macro machine.

Long Adapted Moose