Re: [OM] IMG: The American Airlines Flagship Detroit

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The American Airlines Flagship Detroit
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 19:56:08 -0400
For homework please explain (in lurid detail) why the strong force has a limited range of just 1 femtometer. Has Trump built a wall around it? Regardless, it is clear that Othello is outside its range and he will not be contained either. What is your backup plan? Does it involve longer range forces such as those mysterious ones in the 2-3 femtometer range?

Chuck Norcutt

Thanks for the good wishes--Marnie says "Hi".  As the list is really extended
family where the notes go doesn't really matter.
Scrambling to get all the ducks in a row before a trip to Switz.  Afraid a few
stray ones may get away this time.

I did look into the SI at your suggestion.  Could not find any samples to ready
w/o succumbing to the pay wall. As a cautious and skeptical sort of skeptic,
would prefer a quick trial mode first.  ;-)
I totally agree with nothing is really something with the abundant evidence of
virtual particles that flash in and out of existence.  They exist  less than
Plank time --about 10**-44 sec so don't violate conservation of energy.
They mediate the Casimir effect and has been confirmed experimentally very
close to the calculated values.  So if Maimonides advocated a creation by ex
nihilo as proof of a required force, not sure anything but physics is
required. I really like an alternative better even if very very very unlikely,
and will hang on to a 1 in 10**10 chance there might be.  The magic force of
good friends and a purring cat are undeniable.

Speaking of forces, while in an  odd mood  a few months ago just before leaving
work I jotted down  an email to Marnie who had been complaining about our cat
Othello persistent attempt at a Vulcan mind meld for
treats and before proceeding to be more demonstrative.

   " In order of increasing strength:

    5. The Gravitational Force
    This is the force that holds us onto the Earth. It could be important in
our daily life, but on the scale of atomic world it is of negligible or no
importance at all. Gravitational force is cumulative and extended to infinity.

    But on the scale of individual particles, the force is extremely small,
only in the order of 10**-38 times that of the strong force--10**-50  times
that of the OP force

    4.  The Weak Force This force is responsible for nuclear beta decay and
other similar decay processes involving fundamental particles. The range of
this force is smaller than 1 fm and is 10**-7 weaker than the strong force

    3. The Electromagnetic Force    This is the force which exists between all
particles which have an electric charge. For example, electrons (negative
charge) bind with nucleus of an atom, due to the presence of protons (positive
charge). The force is long range, in principle extending over infinite
distance. It is 100 times weaker than the strong force and  twelve orders of
magnitude weaker yet again than the OP force--mediated by photons as described
by QED--quantum electrodynamics.

    2.  The Strong Force
    This force is responsible for binding of nuclei. It is the dominant one in
reactions and decays of most of the fundamental particles. This force is so
strong that it binds and stabilize the protons of similar charges within a
nucleus. However, it is very short range. No such force will be felt beyond the
order of 1 fm (femtometer or 10**-15 m). Mediated by Gluons as described in
QCD-- Quantum chromodynamics.

    1.  OP Force    Othello  Patroclus  Force -- Governs all particle activity
at 145.  Mediated by force of will and  remains unexplained by quantum theory.

    Physics lesson for  the day, Mike"

Mike