[OM] IMG: Hogueras de San Juan 2016

Subject: [OM] IMG: Hogueras de San Juan 2016
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 23:29:48 +0200
June 24th is one of the major holidays of the year in Alicante. For some
reason, midsummer is a big deal here, as it is in Catalunya and in Scandinavia
(but not in the many countries in-between). In Alicante, it is a week-long
celebration, starting on June 19th and ending at midnight on the 24th. During
those five days, elaborate statues are erected all over the city, including in
residential neighbourhood like the one where I live, only to be burned on the
24th. Many streets are closed to traffic to make room for huge party tents
known as barracks, where people eat and drink from noon until the wee hours of
the morning. Needless to say, this is not one of the most productive weeks of
the year in our city.

This year, I did not go out in the evenings during the hogueras (the word
refers both to the celebration and to the statues). Instead, I visited several
of the best spots during the day and documented the decorations and the
ancilalry activities:

http://www.greatpix.eu/Hogueras-2016/

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman