Re: [OM] Banded Hairstreak

Subject: Re: [OM] Banded Hairstreak
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:27:19 -0700
On 6/28/2016 1:22 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
Oooh... I likey.

Thanks!

I really need to spend some time on Lynda.com and with PS
to learn those tricks,

For me, it's the time spent actually doing in PS that counts. I occasionally have folks ask me were they can find tutorials, but can't help, 'cause I very,very seldom view any.

The tutorial for this is dead simple, at least in outline:

1. I'd like the background to be darker and lower contrast and the flutterby to
be brighter, with a bit of 'pop'.

2. Logically, that means separating the two areas with a mask.

3. Make a new layer and make a mask for it.

4. Find the tool that adjusts brightness and contrast (Image=>Adjust=>Brightness/Contrast). Apply it to the background layer.

5. Apply LCE (Filter=>Sharpen=>Unsharp Mask (Amount to taste, 20-50, Radius 50, Threshold 0) to upper layer masked to flutterby alone

6. Apply Curves to upper layer. (CRTL-M)

Masking takes however long it takes; different subjects need different selection tools and vary a lot in how easy/hard they are. The rest takes a few seconds. I do each step on a separate layer, and collapse them later. I had to look up the menu choices, as I have all these and other tools in Actions that start and name a new layer, then start the tool.

especially since Adobe refuses to release the "Moosifier" plug-in.

Still negotiating the rights. ;-)

Baby Steps Moose