Re: [OM] Banded Hairstreak

Subject: Re: [OM] Banded Hairstreak
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:29:13 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
SubAlpine Moose writes,

<<<Anyway, I also tried digidarkroom fill light. It has the advantage of not
brightening the background and adjustable subject lighting after the fact, and,
oh yes, less gear to carry and fuss with. :-)

<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Banded_Hairstreak.htm>

Thanks Moose.  Certainly now looks like a flash dominant shot with at tad of
natural fill rather than vica versa.  I had added a touch of LCE to the b'fly
but should have toned down the background a bit more and added a curves layer.
I will likely succumb to start paying more Adobe tax soon enough if the newer
tools become overwhelmingly compelling individually or cumulatively.  I have
not had much luck with suboptimally lit flutterbys at least in capturing the
luminescent qualities of  more newly emerged ones by working in the digital
darkroom.  My working hypothesis is the structural colors really just require
the light on them to "pop."  Fill flash does the trick in many circumstances.

Perhaps we will be able to chase a few alpine b'flys.  I have been boning up on
the ID's.  I hear  our first scheduled  trail still has some snow.  :-(   If
you don't hear from me in a while, send out the Zuiko sniffing St. Bernards.

Zuiko toting, Mike