Re: [OM] Pie

Subject: Re: [OM] Pie
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 17:19:38 -0400
James Beard has a great recipe for pie crust that is made in the
Cuisinart.  It's super easy.  About the same amount of butter (frozen),
etc., plus ice water.  It all comes together in a lump.  Put it in
refrigerator to rest and then roll out.  I use Italian flour. Outstanding!
We are picking wild blackberries now and I use the pie crust recipe to make
a galette that I serve with home-made vanilla ice cream (made from raw milk
cream).   I love the summer around here.  Just picked 20 more pounds of
cucumbers to make into pickles!  It's a good thing I'm getting exercise in
the garden and sweating a lot these days!!

Tina

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >      Ah, so you made a French crust, where to place pieces of butter on
> one half, fold it over, roll it flat, place more pieces of butter, fold it
> over, etc.  That's how you make flaky pie crust.
>
> Close.
>
> Two sticks of butter, 1 2/3 cup of flour, sugar, salt and water. Cut
> the butter into cubes, add it to the mix. Kneed it up. Then roll it
> out flat, fold it, fold it again, and fold it one more time. Stick in
> the fridge for a few minutes. Then take it out, cut it in two, and
> proceed to roll each half for the top and bottom crust.
>
> Easy as that. All those folded layers gives it the flaky layers.
>
> Amazing. My usual crust is like shoe leather.
>
> AG
> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com