[OM] OT: BREXIT

Subject: [OM] OT: BREXIT
From: Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 17:49:59 -0500
Oh, and by the way,  when you think about the cultural differences between
the states that existed, say, in 1840 (e.g., between Massachusetts vs.
Georgia,  Texas, etc.) it is even more a good example of what the EU
represents in terms of the hurdles of integration -- that is, think of the
accomplishments of the US in binding all 50 together over the 150 years,
 the Civil War not withstanding.

My point I guess:  our biggest states (CA, TX, NY, FL) probably do not want
to return to separate status, what they would have had early on in our
history - separate money, policy, military, borders, perhaps even language
(e.g., Spanish) etc. Indeed, recall that the 1787 constitution arose
exactly because the EU-like confederation didn't and couldn't work.

My own opinion:  I think it's a shame that the natural human (and
especially European) instincts for bureaucratization is sinking the idea of
the EU.   I do hope the same fate doesn't face the US because of federal
overreaching and inattention to (as Ken put it) the Hoi Polloi).

*Bob*