Re: [OM] Sedge butterflies

Subject: Re: [OM] Sedge butterflies
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 09:06:23 -0500
On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe you need to switch to manual focus on the 55-210.  Alternatively,
> you might want to try using the Tammy 60-300 or another OM lens on the
> NEX-7 using this very inexpensive adapter <
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OM-Lens-to-Sony-E-Mount-NEX3-NEX5-NEX-7-EX-5N-NEX-C3-NEX-5C-Adapter-Ring-/381695612405?hash=item58ded4d5f5:g:WvkAAOxydlFSqq9T>
> It will take a long time to get it when sent free on the slow boat from
> China but at $5.99 it's worth the wait and, if you don't like it, just
> throw it away.
>
> With no auto diaphragm shooting could be cumbersome. But, if the Sony is
> like the OM-Ds, you'll find that the viewfinder brightens to show what the
> photo will look like at shooting aperture and selected shutter speed.  I
> remember how delighted I was when I first tried an OM lens on the E-M5 and
> discovered that I could see to focus and shoot even with the lens stopped
> down to shooting aperture. But with no TTL flash control you'll find that,
> with only two power levels, the T-32 is fairly limited as a manual flash.
> You can, however, control it by lying about the ISO.  The E-M1 will sync up
> to 1/320. Your NEX-7 will sync to 1/160. Both are a lot better than your
> OM-4T's 1/60.

PMFJI, as I know next to nothing about the Sony.  I use adapters with
Zuikos on the 5Ds extensively.  You're right about effect on focusing
without auto-diaphragm.  I can focus pretty effectively through the VF to
f8 (in good light), though not necessarily tracking skippers.  Brightening
of the image in the VF would be a great feature.  I get this in LV mode on
the 5DmkII, but I don't consider that useful for the kind of shooting Dean
is doing.

I looked for a OM-NEX adapter with focus confirm and did not see one.  I
find that useful in a general sense, though I realize that I have rarely
used it on the spate of focus-stacked images I've done recently (which are
pretty easy to focus by eye since they are shot at f4).

Can you actually focus a Zuiko at f11 or f16 on your E-M1?  If so, that is
amazing.

Anyway, this seems like really good advice, especially if the NEX-7 has
that brightening feature in the EVF, and it gets me interested yet again in
the E-M1.

Joel W.