Re: [OM] Basic question re Om D E M5

Subject: Re: [OM] Basic question re Om D E M5
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:48:13 -0400
The OM-Ds are so highly customizable (with litle or no labeling) that you could pick up another owner's camera and find that you have no idea how to use it. Even some of those things that are labeled don't necessarily perform that function after customization. There are also customization group settings called MYSET1 through MYSET4 where you can change the complete customized behavior of the camera for any of four shooting situations.

It pays to keep track of what you've done. When a firmware update is done all the settings are returned to default values. When I sent my E-M1 to have the sensor cleaned Olympus applied a firmware update even though it was already at current level. That wiped out all my settings including turning IBIS off. I had a hard time remembering what settings I had modified and forgot about IBIS until it was mentioned in the discussion about using MF lenses. Wiping out the camera settings in a firmware update strikes me as very lazy programming.

Chuck Norcutt