Re: [OM] Anyone from Charleston, SC

Subject: Re: [OM] Anyone from Charleston, SC
From: Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 00:21:45 +0100
It's odd to hear such ongoing support for The Independent. Sure, I miss
Robert Fisk. I missed him when The Times stopped publishing 30 years ago in
a battle over new technology, and was pleased to find him in The
Independent from it's first day of publication. But it has changed very
markedly in recent days, and seems to rely on agency copy to a huge degree.

And then there is the question of its ownership until very recently - and
the continuing Lebedev ownership of the London Evening Standard. Mr Murdoch
may have his opponents, but he does have some experience in newspapers.
Remind me, what was the prior experience of Lebedev senior?

But for a perceptive view of why it's all irrelevant, I recommend "How
technology disrupted the truth" in The Guardian 12 July.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/12/how-technology-disrupted-the-truth

George Orwell hadn't the vaguest idea...

Piers
Thanks! I just ordered a book by Robert Fisk. Got to check out anyone who
is said to make sense of the Middle East.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus. This is a perfect mobile device. Any perceived
errors in spelling, grammar, or logic are figments of your imagination.

> On Jul 10, 2016, at 1:40 PM, ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Me too, Bob.  I have a subscription to the Guardian (on Saturday) and
Observer since the paper version of the Indy died (sad face).  The Guardian
is generally left wing and generally a supporter of the Labour party (I
think), whereas the Independent has no party allegiance, although it is
probably more left wing than other newspapers since it looks for fairness.

> The alternatives in the UK are anathema to me now.  The Daily Mail is an
appalling right-wing rag full of inaccuracies (at best); the Telegraph is
owned by a different family and is also right wing but is really just a
larger Daily Mail, full of inaccuracies and sensationalism unsuited to what
used to be a respected broadsheet.  The Times is owned by Murdoch and
therefore subject to that individual’s bias and thirst for expanding
influence; I’ll have nothing to do with him or any of his organs (take that
how you like ;-))

> Chris
>
>> On 10 Jul 16, at 18:13, Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> You? Find fault with grammar! The horror! ;-)  So where do The
Independent and the Guardian stand compared with one another? I have the
Guardian app and read it quite often. Seems pretty squared away to me.