[OM] Aircraft ID

Subject: [OM] Aircraft ID
From: Siddiq Siddiqui-Ali <muhammad.siddiqui-ali@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 05:22:20 +0000
Sorry folks, I’ve spent a good part of my evening on airliners.net and google
to no avail, and figure one of you fellow aircraft nutters would be the best
resource:

This afternoon at LAX, at the intersection of Highways 105 and Sepulveda
(before it goes under the south runways), I saw what I swear was an A340-500
(Trent 500s, I know what the CFM56s look like), off-white, with a small
crescent/palm/sword logo of Saudia on the tail. No other markings, no other
colors. This is in the same place I’ve seen Roman Abramovich’s B767, so it’s a
known VIP parking spot.

Now, according to airliners.net and wikipedia, Saudia (airlines, royal, air
force, etc), don’t have a A340-500. It was parked in a very visible spot, so
it’s not a clandestine visit. It’s not the 747 (for say, shipping horses, cars,
etc). I didn’t have a red light to get a photo or better view. All I’m sure of
was it was a slender (but not too long) quad, with canted wingtips, and large
bypass turbofans. Everything about it screamed A345 (which happens to be, in my
opinion, the finest looking thing to come out of Airbus).

As to why I want to know—I promise it’s because I’m an geek and aviation nut,
not for any nefarious purposes.

Only other possibility is some sort of re-engined (but why, if even possible)
A340-300, which was supposedly a VIP craft retired in 2014.

I’m going nuts here.

Siddiq