Re: [OM] [OT] Aircraft ID

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Aircraft ID
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:24:10 -0500
> Still leaves the mystery as to the aircraft—I know the -500 was the ULH queen
> till the B77L came in and did it cheaper, despite its ETOPS restrictions. No
> registration or database I have access to shows a current Saudi flagged A340,
> let alone a -500. Would be hell of a biz-jet though. Connect any two points
> on the globe with no restrictions on traversing desolate routes.

Yeah, found another bit of info on the 500 series. About a third were
built as VIP/Special Use transport. But almost half the 500/600 fleet
is parked because of the hourly maintenance/support contracts with RR
for the Trent engines being so high as to offset any fuel efficiency
gains over the the CFM56 versions.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say the the plane you spotted was a
500 series VIP that just got leased to Saudia.

AG