Re: [OM] IMG: Another Way to Snap a Butterfly

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Another Way to Snap a Butterfly
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:23:09 -0500
Thanks, Chuck.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 7/18/2016 7:50 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Very nice, Jim.

Chuck Norcutt

On 7/17/2016 2:34 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
After seeing Moose's recent fly captures, I became interested in trying
an extension tube, though I don't have any of the modifying optics he
has been using.  My only extension tubes are M42, so I attached the
9.5mm tube to my Takumar 135/3.5 lens.  The usable focusing range seemed
to be approximately 2 - 5 feet, not bad for butterflies.  To get a few
more MP, I used my Oly E-510.  This gave me the equivalent of a 270/3.5
lens.

This female Spicebush Swallowtail flew up and rested for about five
minutes on the greenery on my fence.  This was the only view and
lighting that I had available.  I tried focusing at several stops, and
it was not too difficult.  I suspect this was taken at f/8.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Spicebush+Swallowtail+Female.tif.html