Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 16/7/2016: a proper bookshop

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 16/7/2016: a proper bookshop
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 14:24:04 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Doris Lessing is good reading.  Leonard Nimoy read her one story "The
Tunnel" on NPR one evening, and I pulled into a rest area so I could listen to
it without distracting my driving.  I later bought the collection it was in and
read it.  Wonderful story.

     Cluttered book shops are wonderful places.  There is one in Prescott that
I visit whenever I'm there.  I bought a late 19th century book written by a
fellow who built a bark canoe, paddled it down the Mississippi, then along the
Florida coast.  The next year he returned there by train with another canoe and
completed the journey back to Canada going up the inland waterway and then up
the Hudson River.

     I also bought a book there which is a first-person narrative of sailing on
a coastal ferry along the Pacific coast from Low Angeles to Seattle in the late
19th century.

>On Saturday afternoon I was walking around the shopping district
>in downtown Le Mans, and I happened on a second-hand bookshop. I
>first took some pictures from the outside, and then the owner
>came out and politely scolded me for not asking. I apologised,
>and the result was that he told me to come inside and that I could
>photograph to my heart’s content. So I did:
>
>http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-kRgGX9V/A
>
>And of course I did not walk away empty-handed; I bought a
>collection of short stories by Doris Lessing, a Kurt Vonnegut
>novel and a couple of other books. It is nice when you drive
>rather than fly :-)

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson