[OM] Kit Mixes

Subject: [OM] Kit Mixes
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 09:19:27 -0500
Since we were having guests in our house, I decided (it was decided
for me) to put the camera gear away that was spread out all over a
table and organize it into various kits. This, is a task I do a couple
times a year and no two times are the same. Thus is the challenge of
having such a diverse and eclectic collection of gear. But it's a
fascinating exercise to do once in a while as it helps focus a
photographer on kits that can be grab-n-go for whatever purpose with
minimal alterations. Do note that there is a lot of gear on the shelf
that isn't part of these pre-packaged kits, but can be slotted in for
whatever purpose at any time and swapped out based on specific needs.

1. The Digital Pro Pack: E-3, 14-42 zoom, 40-150 zoom, Zuiko 300/4.5
with adaptor, Vivitar 285HV and Sekonic meter. The E-1 can be swapped
in with the removal of either a lens or the flash.

2. The Film Pro Pack: OM-3Ti, 28/2, 50/1.4, 100/2, 200/4, Filters and
Film. (camera body easily swapped out with OM-4Ti)

3. The Digital One Body, One Lens grab kit: Panasonic DMC-l1 with 14-42 zoom.

4. The Film one Body, One Lens grab kit: OM-4Ti with 35-80 zoom.

This is just my flavor of the day. Notice that the 24/2.8 has fallen
out of favor for the 28/2. The 35/2.8 and 100/2.8 lenses are currently
in reserve and are just waiting for proper utilization as part of a
"classic" silvernosed kit. They will make a good match for a chrome
bodied OM-2n that I've got my eye on.

I have a small bag that can hold a body and a couple of lenses. I use
that whenever I want to have a tight setup for roaming college
campuses, attending concerts, etc. It's perfect for the application
and while the OM-4Ti with 35-80 happens to be sitting in that bag at
this very moment, I'll toss anything in it at any time from everything
available.

The nice thing is also the challenging thing. Having a modular
approach to the kits means that I can build up a customized kit for
any application. The challenging thing is taking the time to customize
a kit for every time you walk out the door. These are complete kits in
their own right, but still allow for mix-and-match with minimal
effort.

I'll probably keep this configuration for a couple of weeks...

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx