Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 25/7/2016: portrait of my children and a film proc

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 25/7/2016: portrait of my children and a film processing question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 22:19:09 -0700
On 7/27/2016 12:15 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
On the last day of my children’s visit here last week, I shot a roll of medium format portraits of
them. It sounds like a lot of pictures, but given that I was shooting with the Texas Leica (Fuji 6x9 cm
rangefinder), it just means 8 images on a roll. I am quite pleased with the results except for a weird
processing flaw—look at the dark strip across the top—it was not there in real life, and it
appears on all 8 frames. I wonder if I did not agitate enough—I certainly put in the quantity of
developer indicated on the tank. In any event, I am happy to have these images, flawed or not:

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-VmrGzGv/A
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-7Fdd8pC/A

Quite wonderful!
---------------------------
I've been wondering about tonalities in your recent B&W film images. It seems to my eye as though highlights and shadows are being over compressed, resulting in less balanced tonality than in your recent very nice B&W digital conversions.

Leica:
This one only has highlight 'problems'.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/2016_28_11.htm>

This benefits, to my eye at both ends.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/2016_28_14.htm>

Fuji 6x9:

I find this already wonderful image even more enjoyable with highlights, and
especially shadows unblocked.
I also prefer a little less softness.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/Monica_Moses.htm>

That deconvolution brings up so much more clean detail suggests to me that the lens is a lot better than this image shows. All digital sampling reduces visible detail. Between scanning the neg and downsampling for the web, it seems a lot was lost.

I have no idea which, if any, parts of all this are a matter of taste, yours
and mine, differing.

Moose D'Options