Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 21:46:45 -0700
On 7/28/2016 5:50 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I'm in no hurry to dump Win7 but I do want to be prepared with a replacement plan when this machine eventually fails. Win10 is not likely to be part of that plan.

Win7 is still being sold. Time to upgrade to a fast new Win7 machine now? Buy a
full Win7 package and hold on to it?

It is still, BTW, pretty easy to build one's own machine,and save a lot of $. The company that I bought my last 2 (3?) desktops from at excellent prices stopped doing that and I couldn't find a good source. So I bought a bunch of components and built my own again for the first time in many, many years. I would say it's easier now, as all the hardware is so standardized. I had all the bits connected, Win7 Pro installed and was up and running quite a bit quicker than I had anticipated. The new case has more, larger, quieter fans than any I've had before; it runs cooler, which should give better component life.

I would do it again without any qualms; probably will.

It's too bad the performance testers didn't test anything other than i7 and Xeon. There is a 3.9 GHz i3 available that has single thread performance almost as good as the 4 GHz i7 4790K mentioned as the top i7 performer in your performance link below. If Photoshop does not make extensive use of multi-threading then a really fast i3 or i5 may perform quite well overall.

I don't understand. Compared to a single core, four cores gave:

Motion Blur = 3x
Unsharp Mask = 4x
Gaussian Blur = 3x
Convert color mode = 3+ x
Levels = 3x
Hue/Saturation = 4x
Brightness/Contrast = 3x
Shadow/Highlight = 4x
Curves - 3+ x

Eight of the above are functions that I use all the time, often multiple times on one image. Sounds like "extensive use of multi-threading" to me.

A single core processor almost as fast will still be 3-4 times slower than a four core machine with hyperthreading at many key, processor intensive PS functions. The difference in MB/processor cost just isn't that much, compared to waiting for the green line to finish its race to the end, over and over and over . . . again.

You're right. Mult-threading can't be done with just a compiler switch. . . . When written in 80286 assembler this process was fast enough that the diskette drive never turned off and software installation was much faster.... important when you're trying to read, IIRC, about 13 diskettes.

Sounds like fun, at least back then. ;-)

Unfortunately, I still didn't get an answer about running Photoshop on Linux.
WINE or Win7 virtual machine?

I thought your Linux tests frustrated you. Adding a Win virtual machine is going to be easier? Better than Win10, whatever its flaws?

Serger Moose