Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 14:55:36 -0400
I'm also contemplating staying with Win 7 for now and looking at OSX later.

In my preliminary research, I formed the opinion that Macs using low speed power-saving CPU chips (e.g. Macbook and Macbook Air) wouldn't do for a graphics application like Photoshop. I am leaning towards Macbook Retina which come with CPUs running 2.7 GHz or more because I want portability. If you don't need portability, Mac Minis other than the bottom of the line model would do, but you can always plug an external monitor into a Macbook Retina. I'm holding off for now because the Apple rumor mill thinks that new models will be coming out in Q4 this year, so I can either get a better/faster/shinier system, or save money on a discontinued model.

I never considered using Linux running Wine for my primary home system where I would run photo apps. From my last experience with Wine (admittedly several years ago now), I don't trust Wine to run any given Windows app, and would prefer to use my time running apps, not troubleshooting nonfunctional apps.