Re: [OM] EyeFi X2 Bricking

Subject: Re: [OM] EyeFi X2 Bricking
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 14:12:47 -0500
> Our needs are so different. I occasionally looked at WiFi SD cards, asked
> myself what I would use them for, and walked away. :-)

Agreed. Needs are different. For professional photography, they
certainly have their place. I don't use it much, but when I do, I
really do.

> Living as I do much farther from the trailing edge, all my regularly used
> cameras have WiFi built-in; one even adds BT. And I still use it only for
> remote control.

I'm so far behind the trailing edge, I can water ski.

>> ... Of course, it was foolish to use the cloud services anyway,
> Ya think????

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a YUGE fan of cloud services and use them
extensively. But to use cloud services of a one-lung part-supplier
doesn't make much sense. Apple, Microsoft, Google, Dropbox, Amazon,
etc., are pretty good with cloud services. "Charlie's Cheeseburgers
and Cloud Server" isn't. Even Adobe's "cloud" service with
Photoshop/Lightroom doesn't make sense as the products are tied
together and you lose the modularity of system design.

That said, I've been working on building up a new in-home server, that
will be placed in our fire and windproof "bunker" that will
automatically back up to a remote server location. I've been
cloud-based for a few years now with Zone-10, but this takes it a bit
further.

AG