Re: [OM] E-M1 focus testing

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1 focus testing
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 16:29:33 -0700
Stacker Moose writes:

<<If I set for 10 shots and aperture @ f2, those shots will be very closely
spaced and the total focal depth of the stack will be relatively shallow.

<Another caveat. The stack starts at the current focus distance and works its way
farther away until it has taken the set number of shots. With subjects like flowers,
insects, etc., its really easy to miss a bit or two that are closer <to the camera
than where the lens is focused, resulting in a wonderful image, but for a couple of
prominent bits that are softer - right up front. So I've taken to focusing, then moving
the camera back just a little before pushing <the release the rest of the way. This
has been working well for me.
<This is true for the E-M5 II, and I imagine the E-M1.

Good to know.  For static subjects with no wind,

Just for me, it's not just the wind. I mostly shoot hand held*, and I am not the best tripod in the world. :-) But I work pretty well with the very fast process of a 12 shot bracket on the E-M5 II - well - well enough for PS to align them nicely for me.

I've also run into trouble doing manual stacks with changing light, and recall Chuck's trouble with small, cut branches moving as they dried out.

almost better to hand stack on a rail--

For a person of leisure, and/or infinite patience, OK. Camera created stacks approach infinitely faster as a limit. I know I have had trouble with my own limits when manually stacking with rail - I get distracted/bored, and forget where I am in the process, resulting in duplicate and/or missing slices. (I probably shouldn't take up surgery.)

at least easier to know one has the depth of stack about right.

In practice, I've not found this to be a problem. The stack usually goes past the needed depth, and the last couple/few slices may be skipped in stacking. If concerned, set for way more slices than could possibly be needed, then throw out the extras, a breeze in FS, LR, Bridge, etc. Still much faster than a hand stack.

There is an expensive stacking gizmo, but not much use in the wind.
https://www.cognisys-inc.com/products/stackshot/stackshot.php
Cheaper and easier to have it built into the cam for many subjects.

I have trouble imagining a situation in which I would now hand stack, and I'm certainly not going to spend a lot on such a gizmo when the camera does it "for free". :-) Well, it is free, as it was a firmware update.

With dedicated stacking software one can set the "smoothing radius" as well.
It is sometimes very helpful.  if set small, can take a whole bunch of cloning
work to have the image past the Moose test at 100%.

I'm still learning and refining my work flow and process just with PS. With subjects like the dahlias, It's all pretty much straightforward, follow the steps and it's a perfect stack. Other subjects can be trickier, and can fool the PS blend process pretty badly. I'll be posting more examples soon.

[Moose]

* OMG, the FREEDOM! WOW!