Re: [OM] IMG: Trucks Rule !

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Trucks Rule !
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 09:46:54 -0500
Thanks for sharing the results of your research, Moose. I never knew how the 8 yrs was chosen.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 8/1/2016 12:49 AM, Moose wrote:
On 7/31/2016 5:59 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
I promised myself I would install a new set of Michelins next year, when the current ones are ten years old. Most folks figure eight years is max, but the dealer shop foreman said these looked fine, with no sign of cracking. They've spent most of their days in the garage.

I did some research on this a while ago. As I understand it, the replacement is not for cracking, or any other visible changes, but for changes in the chemistry of the rubber. Supposedly, this affects things like traction, cornering, braking. You are probably fine for limited, low speed use.

Although I use my convertible little, some of that is trips of a few hundred miles that involve freeway speeds, windy, sometimes rough, roads,and sometimes rain, so I've set my own limit at eight years. So the new Michelins on it now won't get to reach their full mileage potential. :-)

Fortunately, the tires on our little RV were getting ready for wear replacement anyway (crummy tread life) at the eight year mark.

Rolling Moose