[OM] [OT] What causes cramps, was: Bed soap revisited

Subject: [OM] [OT] What causes cramps, was: Bed soap revisited
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 08:21:08 -0400
According to the guys who invented this stuff <http://www.teamhotshot.com/> cramps are not caused by problems with the muscles but rather by erratic nerve impulses originating in the spinal cord. Starting from the folk lore of pickle juice, mustard and other strong flavored foods as a rapid treatment for cramps they determined that strong tasting foods cause a very sudden response in TRP channels in the mouth, esophagus and stomach.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_receptor_potential_channel>
This sudden flood of electrical impulses to the brain in some way acts as a distraction and quiets the erratic signals from the spinal cord to the muscles. The TRP channels explain why foods act so quickly. These foods do not need to be digested to quiet the cramp.

I don't know what's in the little 1.7 oz. "HotShot" bottles (probably at least some amount of capsaicin) but it costs almost USD 6 per dose. I think I'll stick to pickle juice if the soap stops working as a preventive (I'm hopeful but it's still too early to assume that it is).

Chuck Norcutt