Re: [OM] What really happened?

Subject: Re: [OM] What really happened?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 19:04:06 -0500
> I bet the 6D will be a most  excellent tool for you, though even a pin hole
> meets that criterion.

Well, the pinhole would be fine for some of the stuff I do, but is
somewhat limiting in options. Sports kinda stinks.

> I don't recall reading that any Optix chips work with 6D but recall reading
> reports the emf chips do work--would hate programming it with the shutter
> though.

Who knows. I ordered a chipped Fotodiox from Amazon.

> The sensor stack thickness is 2mm which is in the same ball park as the sony
> A7r(11).
> I don't know the equivalent "optical thickness" or how they compare but would
> expect some WA Zuikos to have degraded performance at wide apertures
> if have shorter exit pupil distances--I don't recall seeing exit pupil data
> on OMZ lenses--Roger's graphs at lensrentals show performance in corners
> start to take at hit with thicker sensor stack with exit pupil distance from
> sensor
> shorter than 75mm or so, IIRC.

As long as the camera works well with the OM Zuiko 35-80, I will
consider it a roaring success. While the other lenses are important,
the 35-80 is the golden child that needs to be fed.

> Congrats, but suspect you might trade up to the A9 or A7r111 with focus
> peaking and mag LV to focus the Zuikos.

That's why I want to keep my Canon footprint as minimal as possible. I
want the flexibility of switching horses without grief. Some of you
may be aware that I've been quite enamored with the 6D since it came
out. I checked one out soon after they became available. Feature-wise,
this is right up my alley. For the past hour I've been playing around
with the cell-phone control of the camera. I have the OM Zuiko 50/1.4
stuck (literally stuck) to the front of the 6D right now and am having
a blast.

>From an image-IQ perspective, well, it ain't no E-1, but what is? It's
got 4x the pixels, and 4x the sensor real-estate, and it will do
high-ISOs till the cows come home. But I'm not seeing the "perfection"
that everybody raves about. It's good, but not perfect. But my skills
at polishing the E-1 turds will serve me well with this camera. Either
the 6D isn't actually as good as everybody says it is, or the E-1 is
better than what everybody says it is. No slouch, but not magical.
However, the in-camera JPEGs, are actually pretty decent.

AG