Re: [OM] DAMN!

Subject: Re: [OM] DAMN!
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 16:21:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Cc: Larry Griffin <l_g_griffin@xxxxxxxxx>
     No, but I'll look into it tomorrow morning.  Anything that's that old may
work better, such as the difference between modern degraggers and the old Intel
defragger that came with Win95.  That one does a 100% defrag and compaction in
just one pass, but you have to use it in SAFE mode.

     The freeware ones I've looked at can't recover a single graphics file, and
just a handful of PDF documents that were not saved in folders.  The ones that
require you to buy a license prior to recovering anything show lots of graphics
and document files, but the one that lets you recover a small amount as a demo
could not recover a single one intact.

     I'm going to copy all the images from the cameras to see what can be found
there.

>Did you try Spinrite it has been around since the early 90s.
>
>https://www.grc.com/default.htm
>

>On 08/06/2016 03:39 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
>>       Well, it finally happened.  Three weeks ago there was a power
>>glitch here when shutting down the one laptop, and the result was that
>>the directory of my external hard drive was corrupted.  I've tried the
>>demo versions of a number of fairly powerful recovery software packages,
>>only to learn repeatedly that although a large number of JPG, Tif/TIFF,
>>BMP, and other file types are recognised, they are beyond recovery.  Or
>>so they tell me.
>>
>>       I'm at the point where I'm reasonably convinced that the data
>>I've been storing on this drive is lost, and a lot of that was my
>>photos of many years plus PDF copies of papers that were being used for
>>various projects.  Fortunately, the files for active projects have been
>>stored on the laptops or the desk computer, and files for electronics
>>projects are stored on the desk computer, one of which was nearing
>>completion.
>>
>>       Looking for drive recovery software by way of online searches is
>>probably not conclusive, so before I go to the final step and format the
>>drive I'd like to hear if there is any software out there in cyberland
>>that can do the job better than what I've used so far.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson