Re: [OM] Advise sought on flash for E-3 and maybe M5

Subject: Re: [OM] Advise sought on flash for E-3 and maybe M5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 00:53:28 -0700
On 8/11/2016 7:39 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all,

I have been approached by a representative of a group of
fern plant enthusiasts based around San Diego, Calif; to guide them
around special ferny places in New Zealand. I've agreed and have started
planning - on the basis of very little input from them so far.

I'm
likely to take them to some special places I have not been to in decades
and to have the opportunity to see and photograph species of plane I
haven't seen since then.

That sounds wonderful fun!
I'd like to do better. My old friend and
mentor (long deceased now) published photos of how he photographed small
orchids with a Pen half-frame. See below and two to the right.

That's certainly excellent technique with the gear and film available then. Things have changed. You may wish to consider a different approach. The difference between KR 25 and ISO 1600 or higher on the E-M5 is, rather literally, night and day. You shouldn't need anything like the lighting help he needed.

I've taken many perfectly lovely shots of ferns in canyons on overcast days. That said, you will undoubtedly want some controllable extra light.

I'd suggest one or more of the cheap* and excellent small LED light panels currently available. John's technique relied on endless experience to get the lighting angles and balance right. One advantage of using continuous lights, rather than flash, is that you can see and adjust the lighting as you work, rather than relying on experience you don't have.

Imagine flipping the LCD screen up, so you can watch as you move the lights in your hand, or hands, until it looks good, then taking the shot. These little lights have continuously adjustable brightness, without losing their daylight color balance. With a remote release and an assistant, you could adjust angle and balance of main and fill light - then say "shoot".

By myself, I'd probably put one light in the shoe, set low, and use the other free in my hand. Nowadays, I'd also be using the E-M5 II, and viewing and shooting on my phone or tablet via WiFi. :-)

I've used this basic technique only a little, with only one light - and it saved me endless time setting up lighting. The LED lights are efficient, and run some time on a set of batteries. With extra rechargeable Nimh batteries like Eneloops, one could go on for hours, then recharge overnight.

. . .

Larger fern plants in shady places will need a modified version of John's
technique.

The above approach works just as well for large and small, as the lights are so
brightness adjustable.

Out With the Old Moose

* By cheap, I mean $20 for the one I have. <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098G9LHU/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_2> There are many similar products, in various sizes and powers. Some are quite expensive, but I doubt that's necessary for this purpose.