[OM] Perseid meteor, IFO, light pollution, questions

Subject: [OM] Perseid meteor, IFO, light pollution, questions
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 15:00:21 -0400
Instructions for photographing the Perseid meteor shower said to
        1) Get as far away from urban lights as you can.
2) use the fastest, widest lens you have. Lock the lens on infinity in advance.
        3) Expose wide open for 15-25 seconds, ISO 1200-2500

I could not heed instruction #1. I was in my backyard 14 miles NW of Boston MA, a few hundred feet from a well-lit main road. I used a 12-40 f/2.8 m.Zuiko set to 2.8 and 12mm on an E-M5, original mark I model. I had the camera on a tripod, used the 2-second anti-shock shutter delay, manual exposure mode, and had image stabilization turned off. The light pollution was so severe that to maintain any semblance of a dark sky over a 20 second exposure, I had to crank the ISO down to 200.

This is an example of what I got: http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20573 Lowering the ISO took its toll. The meteor trail to my eye was brighter than an ember in a fireworks display.

I also caught an IFO (identified flying object): http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20576

These pictures have no post-processing. I'm probably doing something wrong, but when I tried to darken the sky, the stars and trails got dimmer as well.

I have a couple of questions about how the E-M5 functioned...

1) Can the Mark I E-M5 display progressive results on the LED screen during a time exposure? Page 89 of the manual is not at all clear on what exactly Live Bulb and Live Time do, and trying Live Bulb didn't seem to do anything. 2) After the shutter closed, it took about 40 blinks of the orange SD card symbol (~15 seconds?) to write the picture to the card before I could start the next exposure. Why did it take so long after a time exposure? The night-sky files were actually smaller than normal hand-held daylight pictures, running around 5.3 MB, versus 6.4 to 8.4 MB.

     ----- Larry Woods