Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 33: more Alicante life

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 33: more Alicante life
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 20:41:51 -0700
On 8/17/2016 9:03 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
Lovely look at your town. However, there's something about the Neopan pix
that doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's just the way that film looks.

One hopes not. I don't like them, either.

Whether film, development or scanning, somewhere, tonal distribution has gone wrong. The lighter tones are all bunched up in the upper middle range, with top of the histogram empty. It's like everything from about the middle to the top of subject brightness has been compressed in to a narrow range.

The result is a lack of true bright areas and very low contrast in the mid-upper tones. Look at the meat in 33_16, virtually all detail is lost in a gray haze. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/2016_33_16.htm>

Much the same story in 33_17.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/2016_33_17.htm>

In the others, the subject tonal distribution is different, so the effect is
less obvious, although all could look better.

Tonal Control Moose