Re: [OM] Jiminy C!

Subject: Re: [OM] Jiminy C!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 21:03:49 -0700
On 8/20/2016 8:37 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Nice one Moose.

thanks!

Looking at the exif I don't see a lens listed but the 43mm tells me maybe the
12-50 in macro mode ??

That's the giveaway. I don't know why the ZX gallery has the selection of EXIF is does, some of little use and other significant ones missing. Possibly a slavish copy of the LUG gallery?

If you install FxIF, it shows up as a right click option and offers a better
selection, in this case:
--------------------------
Camera Maker: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera Model: E-M5MarkII
Lens: OLYMPUS M.12-50mm F3.5-6.3
Image Date: 2016-05-26 15:53:14 +0000
Focal Length: 43mm (35mm equivalent: 86mm)
Aperture: ƒ/8.0
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: -0.70 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Light Source: Fine Weather
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: Adobe RGB (1998)
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Creator: Moose
Copyright: moose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Caption: OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Software: Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Windows)

I also note -0.7ev w/ the EM5ii. Since I picked up the same a few months back I notice that I'm correcting to about -0.7ev much of the time. Sometimes have to force even lower. Other times 0.0ev works but that is the exception.

That's about what I do.

What's your experience with this body? I just dialed in -0.3ev on the EM5 as
was good to go.

-0.7 was my default setting for the Mark I, and for most cameras I've used over the years. Especially with more recent cameras and lower ISOs, I'd prefer to pull up shadows over trying to recover highlights. Even at that, when it's bright, I often need a some of highlight recovery anyway. Once that channel is blown, ain't nothin' gonna bring it back. OTOH, there are lots of tricks for shadows.

But I do blow it sometimes, set at -1.0EV, and forgetting to change it for different conditions, leaving a half histogram to try to same.

The Shadow Knows Moose