[OM] IMG: Today at the Buddlei Bush

Subject: [OM] IMG: Today at the Buddlei Bush
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 13:36:37 -0500
When I walked out to the Buddlei Bush today, I found another Gulf Fritillary and some bees, along with a lot of smaller insects. The Fritillary was usually in motion, but I finally got one acceptable shot.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Gulf+Fritillary+77.JPG.html

I saw some peculiar behavior on the part of the Carpenter Bees. While one was wrapped up in the flowers, a second large bee was hovering almost motionless, watching. Here is the hovering bee.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Hovering+Carpenter+Bee+91.JPG.html

As a former aerodynamicist, I noted that, while hovering, with the wings in constant motion, the instantaneous photo shows the left wing at a positive angle of attack while the right wing is just the opposite. But my fellow engineers are the ones that said that a bumble bee can't fly, so what do we know. The bees make it work for them. :-)

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA