Re: [OM] Railroad photo exhibit - some taken with OMs

Subject: Re: [OM] Railroad photo exhibit - some taken with OMs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 13:12:24 -0700
On 8/26/2016 12:39 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Tell him to get (or at least try) a mirrorless camera before he commits to another DSLR. It used to be that only Olympus had in-body image stabilization (IBIS) which works for those old Zuikos. But now the Sony Alpha 7 II and 7R II both have IBIS (caution, not true for all Sony Alpha 7 models). If you want a full frame camera with IBIS those are the choices.

I have not looked into it, but understand that the A7 IBIS is decent, but nowhere near that on the OM-Ds. The E-M5 is great, the Mark II even better, and Oly claims more improvement on the soon coming E-M1 II. There's a whole lot more, whole lot heavier, stuff to throw around with a FF sensor.

I know I shouldn't compare my Canon 5D with the new 5D Mark IV but, IMHO, there is no comparison in live view performance between something like the OM-D E-M1 and that 5D. I assume the Sonys would perform about the same.

Yup, using the A7 is very similar to the E-M5 II in those respects. I feel right at home with LV, zebra exposure warnings, magnification for fine focus, etc.

For someone who already has Canon lenses, there are adapters that maintain AF and AE on A7 bodies. What looks like a good summary/review here. <http://briansmith.com/sony-a7-a7r-lens-mount-adapters/> At least the Metabones also enables use of the lens OIS.

Adaptable Moose