Re: [OM] The Apocalypse Continues

Subject: Re: [OM] The Apocalypse Continues
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:16:03 -0500
> I don't understand the question. If it's paying for itself, now, in the
> moment, and a II that you would pay for is far in the future, it's a
> no-brainer.

No kidding. I've got a really good setup right now. The E-3 and the 6D
really do complement each other very nicely. I just need to scare up a
14-54mk2 to improve the lens side of the equation a bit for the 4/3
system. The E-1 and L1 can be swapped in or out depending on the
application.

> Nah, a goal not related to commercial or fun use. Just take pics with it.
> Leave the macho stuff for cars and such.

If the shutter does die in the next year, I can have it repaired. The
purchase price was offset for the high mileage. But the camera spent
its life glued to a telescope, so it has almost no physical wear. I
can run it till it drops. Or use it as a trade in the next year or two
and come out fine.

> Are you saying that the 6D sensor is better in some ways, and not in others?
> Or that the mechanical thingie that carries the sensor of the 6D is crumby,
> compared to those other bodies?

The camera is full-frame sensor stuffed into a 60D body. Obviously,
there are some other tweaks, but from an operational and control
perspective, it's a mid-grade Canon. The comparative is that the E-1
and E-3 are high-grade Olympus. Most of the differences are "nuance"
but the differences are there. It mostly comes down to button
placement and sleep/wake behaviors. The E-1 and E-3 will wake up
exactly how you left it. The 6D and the L1 will reset to the saved
configuration. I already mentioned WB, but that's a system-wide issue
with Canon. There are a lot of modern features that I really do like
in the 6D, but those are evolutionary things that are also present in
modern-day Olympus cameras too. The other biggy is a mess for me.
While the Canon is perfect for indoor event/wedding/etc photography,
the way it responds to colored LED lighting is almost criminal. The
Olympus cameras do much better with the LED lighting, but choke on
higher ISOs. While the Olympus cameras top out at ISO 800 for anything
usable, the Canon sings at 8000.

I am very impressed with one thing about the 6D, though. It nails
exposure most of the time with my OM Zuikos. But consistency requires
that the eye be up in position at the viewfinder. The 6D, like nearly
all EOS bodies, is susceptible to exposure fluctuations from light
intrusion through the viewfinder. I haven't measured it yet, but it
looks to be at least twice as much as the E-bodies.

AG Schnozz