Re: [OM] Canon 6D - First couple of weeks and first couple thousand pict

Subject: Re: [OM] Canon 6D - First couple of weeks and first couple thousand pictures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 16:07:15 -0700
On 8/22/2016 6:47 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Why is a professional (you) shooting auto white-balance???

This was mystifying me, too.

When using flash, I don't. But most of the time I do and just correct
"as necessary" in Lightroom.

That makes little sense to me.

However, unlike the Olympus cameras, the AWB of the 6D is half a circle away
from Dante.

The E-1 has a separate ambient light WB sensor, and so an advantage over just
about anything else.

AWB has always seemed to me to be like sending a blind man out to see what the phase the moon is in. Sure, the cameras are pretty smart these days, and undoubtedly many have a database of common lighting situations. But lets face it, when the lighting is mixed/weird, how can they even do as good a job as they seem to?

You really need a WhiBal credit card size, for correction in post and/or an
ExpoDisk, or eq. for setting a custom WB.

You may think your eye is good, making adjustments later with no reference; maybe you are that good. I know that I'm often surprised by what the WhiBal reveals.

Color Me Moose