Re: [OM] Doom-laden . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] Doom-laden . . .
From: Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 10:19:58 -0400
He was RCAF in the beginning, then RAF, I think. One American, one Canadian
parent? Died in a training accident in 1941. He also wrote an excellent eulogy
to Rupert Brooke.

Sonnet to Rupert Brooke
by John Gillespie Magee

"We laid him in a cool and shadowed grove
One evening in the dreamy scent of thyme
Where leaves were green, and whispered high above —
A grave as humble as it was sublime;
There, dreaming in the fading deeps of light —
The hands that thrilled to touch a woman's hair;
Brown eyes, that loved the Day, and looked on Night,
A soul that found at last its answered Prayer...
There daylight, as a dust, slips through the trees.
And drifting, gilds the fern around his grave —
Where even now, perhaps, the evening breeze
Steals shyly past the tomb of him who gave
New sight to blinded eyes; who sometimes wept —
A short time dearly loved; and after, — slept."