Re: [OM] Custom Lens Profiles - CC

Subject: Re: [OM] Custom Lens Profiles - CC
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:35:34 -0500
> Profiles to be used by what app?

Photoshop and Lightroom.

In a nutshell, you print out a grid on appropriate paper/size, tape it
to the wall, secure a camera on a tripod in front of it and take nine
pictures. One with the grid in the center, four in the corners and
four along the sides. Convert to DNG (for use in Lightroom) or JPEG
(for use in Photoshop). Import them into the profile creator, let it
chew on them, and save your profile. Next time you open Photoshop or
Lightroom, the profile will be in there for your use. In Lightroom,
it's so easy to select your profile and apply it. If it doesn't look
good, you can tweak it a little, choose another or just turn it back
off. The more samples you take (you can take far more than nine
pictures), the better the profile.

In doing my research on this, it's best to do your own custom profiles
for each model of camera you have. The sensor filter stacks change so
much from one camera model to the next that a profile created with an
original 5D wouldn't work well with a 5Dmk3. Not only is the
vignetting unique, but so is the chromatic aberration.

I was concerned about profiling my camera-lens combinations because of
difficulty, exactness and so forth. But Adobe created a pretty easy to
use piece of software that does the job. It's simple, but effective.
I'm sure DXO makes better profiles--maybe, but at a cost. The other
thing about creating your own profiles is that it addresses the
uniqueness of every lens and camera mount that might not be exactly as
centered as it is supposed to or doesn't match the sample used for the
published profile.

AG Schnozz