Re: [OM] Another one from the Adirondack trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Another one from the Adirondack trip
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 19:13:40 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<I didn't know it either until after lunch at "City Steaks and Seafood" (a
small but very good restaurant in [small village] Whitehall) I walked across
the street to a little park and saw this:
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20699> I was intrigued by the
<<claim "Birthplace of the US Navy", decided to look it up so took this photo
as a reminder. The US Navy doesn't claim that but you probably wouldn't want to
tell that to the people of Whitehall. :-)

That claim would be met with derision 'round these parts.  Beverly, MA as you
should know is the true birthplace.   (I think about 5 towns make that claim,
but some really housed an embryo at best.)   The Hannah,first armed vessel out
of Beverly Harbor, set  sail at the behest of Washington on Sept. 5, 1775 --it
was crewed by Marbleheaders though.  The ship first engaged in combat with a
British vessel, the Nautilus, on Sept. 10.

  Might take Moose to an island off there next visit though might need boots
and have to skedaddle before the tide starts coming in.

Huzzah!

Mike