Re: [OM] Lens design and distortion [was Custom Lens Profiles - CC]

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens design and distortion [was Custom Lens Profiles - CC]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 22:59:51 -0700
Aberrant Moose writes:

<<Here's some I happen to have lying around, partly for a project
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20705>.
<<All the same diagonal AoV.

<<Tamron 28/2.8 Adapt-A-Matic (pre Adaptall, ca. 1970) - 387 g. ("The Hulk")
<<Hanimex 28/2.8 - 283 g.
<<Image 28/2.8 - 225 g.
<<Zuiko 28.2.0 - 250 g.
<<Panasonic µ4/3 14/2.5 - 50 g.

Oooo, very cool.  What project?

I described what I'm doing at some length on the 26th., in a post titled "Alt dot Moose branches out [was The Apocalypse Continues]"

It's about finding lenses that are 'imperfect' in interesting ways that allow me to make images I have imagined, and others I haven't yet imagined, that I will find personally compelling.

One interesting/odd finding so far is that the LensBaby 'pinhole' (a file image of a hole, I believe) gives wildly different results, at least fairly close-up, than a real, laser drilled hole in a thin piece of copper. They don't seem visually the same size, holding them up to a light, but the difference seems too great for that. I need a variable aperture that goes really small. Or a Waterhouse style pinhole mechanism?

A. . Moose